1. Plant a minimum continuous length of 10m of new hedgerow consisting of 6 plants per metre in a double row of whitethorn and/or blackthorn and/or holly before 31st March 2017.
2. The location and length (metres) must be identified on the LPIS parcel(s) and marked on the map submitted. The new hedge must be a standalone hedge and not placed against an existing hedgerow or stone wall.
3. Plants must be purchased from registered producers or registered growers – see below.
4. All newly planted hedges whether planted in a grass or tillage field must be fenced off and protected from livestock, from the time the hedge is planted. However, where the newly planted hedgerow bounds a private laneway, public road or watercourse, fencing is not required on the laneway/road or water body side as long as the hedge is not being damaged by livestock. The fence must be stock-proof and fit for purpose.
5. Grass and other competing vegetation must be controlled around the plants, until they have become established.
6. Plants must be trimmed over the course of the contract to ensure a dense hedgerow develops.
7. Failed or dead plants must be replaced at the earliest possible planting opportunity.